Meteor Mentoring Group aka Meteor University

I was trying to PM you guys my email to get the invite to the slack channel.
But impossible to find the option.
It looks like newcomers don’t have the rights to PM

edit: You need 3 post to unlock this functionality

Source:

@genzai Just send it here in public. Or if you prefer secrecy :crystal_ball: just mail me your email here:
kaiyes.ansary@gmail.com

New live session commencing in a few minutes! Watch it over here:

1 Like

What is the current status of the university? Has everyone graduated already?

Unfortunately we have come to a stop, but a few of us are planning on
pushing this forward in the coming months. If we can manage to pull that
off, I’ll most definietly make an announcement.

1 Like

Would definitely be interested. Are recordings available on Youtube channel or elsewhere?

Yes old past sessions are on youtube, although, they are now a little
outdated.

I think I am the one who benefitted most from this university. It was a constant source of inspirations and direction. Last 2 years with meteor :smiley:

3 Likes

A couple of people found full time jobs, one is now running an agency.

Not too much of a success story, but it is certainly something.

Learning new things does that to people :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I also benefited a lot from the university. I among those who found a job and was able to make a career change thanks to one of the awesome people that started this out.

2 Likes

It’s still alive :slight_smile:

@Volodymyr you can join the Slack channel

I would like to copy over an announcement I just made at our slack channel, I hope you guys find this useful.

======================================

As you know, our channel went from frequent chats and weekly live sessions to monthly ones and then came to a near-stop apart from still very good but occasional discussions among a few of you.

When we started out, we had an ambition to provide guidance to those who are new to meteor, javascript or even development in general. The idea has always been around mentoring, not direct answers to very specific questions. For some people this was not the best option, yet for some it was a great fit.

We’ve seen some of you start businesses, some find great jobs, some become medium celebrities.

So I believe the original idea struck a chord and helped create something.

Unfortunately, we did not get a chance to spread the word and make this something standing on its own feet. I personaly tried to avoid putting myself too much out there because I’ve hoped our members to step up and become the mentors. But I believe I did see the sparks juding by an increased activity in terms of blog posts, and answers some of you put out there to help other people.

I guess the pay it forward attitude does account to something.

And you know what, it does!

I feel especially happy today to announce that MVP Space - www.mvp-space.com - has decided to take this idea, put it on steroids and offer it to the masses.

In fact, they have taken a step a few months back, tasking and funding some of their developers to begin building a product to become our platform. It will become the very platform that we had been discussing whether we would have been able to build ourselves on our free time, which did not gain much traction. But now that there is a company backing it up, I’m confident it will see day of light very soon.

Even some of our very own members are already working on that codebase as I write these words.

It also now has larger aspirations. Not only to become a meteor mentoring medium, but in fact a platform where people can generally mentor others, where mentees become mentors in time and there are multituteds of topics, both technical and business, to begin learning and mentoring on.

It is called the Mentor Academy, a fitting name.

The platform is in the works, but MVP Space has agreed to start fostering a community on Slack so that when the plaform indeed goes live, we will already have formed some relationships, accrued some knowledge and experience together.

So please come over and subscribe over at http://mentoracademy.co/ for an invitation, and let’s pick this up where we left it, and then some!

Let’s pay it forward, cheers!
Serkan

5 Likes

+1 moving over there.

Core Community of Meteor University is there already.
Looking forward to more to join for a great community experience.

+1 . Already moved there !

I’m there :slight_smile:

+1
People from non meteor communities are also joining. Come join us :slight_smile:

The platform does not work anymore? I have received no invitation after subscribing.