What hosting services are you using for your Meteor App?

@ctaloi I’m a big fan of DO but I don’t think you can scale with it.

@almog I haven’t done that yet, but before delving into the project I’d read about others’ experience and concluded it’s something I could cope with along the way (hopefully indeed)

You’ve probably read this already, but worth mentioning:
https://meteorhacks.com/load-balancing-your-meteor-app.html

Production: DigitalOcean, Amazon S3 as image storage, Compose.io as database. Deploying with MeteorUp. All works fine with Kadira, GA and Mixpanel

2 Likes

Why do you say, you can’t scale with that? Digital Ocean is a place which offers servers, so, spin more servers to scale your app.

We made it super simple with meteorhacks:cluster.

2 Likes

@arunoda I was referring to sticky sessions and the specific meteor / node requirements. I thought that there are some issues with DO is that incorrect?

This is a summary here of my experiences with different hosting solutions.

At the moment, I’m loving the simplicity of Digital Ocean + Compose + Mup. If things ever get serious though (in terms of growing traffic), I might be heading back to AWS Elastic Beanstalk.

I’m yet to experiment with meteorhacks:cluster, but it looks like it might be an easy way to scale using D.O… As far as I know, D.O. gives no problem with meteor specific stuff like sticky sessions – you just set up your box with something that handles that.

Arunoda … ?

3 Likes

@mrzafod this sounds like a good option

@chenroth yes read sometime ago I do think I need to read it again. Thanks

@babrahams this is great thanks

Nope! DO is just fine. They are barebones linux servers after all. The only thing it lacks is automated server deployment to scale depending on traffic. There are tools to help you with that as well, but aws elastic beanstalk may be favorable due to its native, single-vendor approach.

2 Likes

@serkandurusoy and examples or tutorials for setting AWS Beanstalk?

1 Like

+1 for AWS over here

Yep. The thing that got me going on AWS Elastic Beanstalk was Kris Hamoud’s tutorial and gist.

No man. DO is just place offers servers. It has nothing to do with sticky sessions.
That part is done by the load balancers and so on.

As @serkandurusoy mentioned, there is no auto scale features in digital ocean. But, it’s not that hard to achieve anyway.

Side Note: Even heroku does not have autoscaling yet. But modulus.io have

Sorry @almog I don’t have a tutorial but I’m hoping @awatson1978 can add that to her cookbook since I think I remember her telling about using elastic beanstalk for deployments. There Abigail, the ball is on your court now :smile:

1 Like

Hi, I have right now one project running on digital ocean! If you are interested, I have also made a quick tutorial on how to deploy Phussion Passenger + meteor.

About modulus. I’m hosting with them too. I had an issue deploying yesterday which I solved by updating the CLI tool with

sudo npm -g install modulus

There have been some configuration changes that don’t let older CLI deploys work.

Good luck!

We use GCE(Google compute engine) with Mongolab and Smartfile for CDN and follow all the Arunoda packages…cluster, mup, fast-render…that guy is freaky awesome!

4 Likes

@arunoda thanks, looking into this right now

@babrahams Yea I saw that, but he talks about using Meteor 0.8, does it now support Meteor 1.0?