Would you replace an in-house developed ERP with meteor?

Well in order to increase the meteor adaptability, I would certainly favor on creating a full-blown ERP system based on meteor. Given the “reactiveness” of the meteor, it could be a game-changer in ERP arena and business people will definitely love to use it.

Being said that, I agree it’s no easy task but hey, even spiderman takes the risks! :smiley:
You may also have a look on TokuMX for MongoDB for “enhanced” Mongo performance with support of ACID transactions.

I hope to see some action around, who knows you may just create a next well-known ERP system! #BestofLuck

3 Likes

Hi @serkandurusoy, thanks for your input on this. Your answer is exactly what we also believe(d) and a very valid view of the ERP business of the last 4-5 decades, we are also following this philosophy that’s why we implement SAP & Dynamics AX ERP systems the last 12 years.

But… I think these ERP dinosaurs need a major overhaul in the way information is stored and presented to the end user while making development approachable and most importantly “affordable” again for customers. Considering even a small SAP customization or configuration change will end up in a 5000 USD minimum expenditure because of the 100000 Mio parameters you have to worry about, even though you are not even using the underlying functionality…

@Invictus this is exactly our plan, setting a new standard in ERP with fresh mindsets and tools which will help implementing business applications in a very fast and robust manner.

I guess we will have to start this as a pioneer project…

Thanks

3 Likes

I must say, working for a firm that dishes out its own ERP system, I can’t wait to work on a Meteor based ERP system! The already established ones are dinos for sure and they do require a great deal of resources just to get started.

Having said that, two months ago we had training on SAGE ERP X3 and to my surprise, the front-end of the new v7 system is made with Node.js and MongoDB. Their approach is quite interesting; with the new version they are able to create the different subsystem dynamically, no codding need to design the forms and even manage workflows.

To make a long story short, it’s about time for a heavy weight Meteor App. @meteorpoly, if you guys don’t do it soon, I’m will beat you to it :smile:

3 Likes

You may be interested in this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3cOLFP-ZyQ - this guy wrote a POS/ERP system from the ground up in Meteor. It’s a fit for his business, and is geared more towards POS than ERP, but still…

Did I mention he’s not a programmer? :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I’ve seen it last year, very impressive… :slight_smile: but I think we are talking about a lot more until we can call it an ERP though. But I’m seriously convinced that we can produce a very robust and future ready ERP with meteor…

2 Likes

I’ve just created another post to finally start this whole thing… :smiley: Best Meteor Devshop?

1 Like

Oh my god!

@meteorpoly you are actually serious about this and you sound strongly like you do know your sh*t !!!

Wow!

You know what, scratch all I’ve said. If your take on this is not let’s develop a custom solution to a client, but rather let’s disrupt the erp space then by all means go for it! That space is indeed in dire need of disruption as those existing dinosours are more for their own deep pockets than they are for advances in erp tech.

2 Likes

Wow…

Meteor is disruptive in it’s own way in development community, now it’s the time for peripheral disruption!

Let the game begins! :gift_heart:

There is a Trello board now listing very basic features for this new platform Trello

@meteorpoly - I think the key point in your initial post is your client is currently using an in-house developed ERP system. This means the client is comfortable with bespoke software and will likely be willing to work with you in developing it.

From a systems analysis standpoint the metrics that are more important than the number of concurrent users is the actual load on the system - I mean, how many of the concurrent users are actually entering data at the same time? Or are they just logged in and viewing reports? If the majority are viewing reports one of the really nice features you get for free in a mongoDB replica set are read-only replica partner (slaves) that you can direct your report views to instead of clogging up the primary member accepting the write transactions. (A nice implementation of the CQRS pattern if you ask me - and for free, just point to the secondary replica member for read only/ search and analytic operations.

If the analysis shows you will be receiving live data streams from production systems all the more reason to use mongoDB and meteor. The reactive nature of meteor makes it perfect for operational dashboards in this instance (the only time using a dial guage makes sense - when the data rates or volumes are continuously changing and the guage would actually be moving to indicate real time up or down trends instead of they way guages are too often abused to show a single static value).

good luck.

2 Likes

Odd, at around 7:40 he says “I’ve been programming since I was about 11 years old”… so I guess even though he’s not a programmer by trade, he sounds like he has much experience. Still, such an incredibly impressive example! Definitely gave a Meteor-rookie like myself some really cool ideas.

Really cool, looking forward to what you come up with :smiley:

Hi: I’m currently portng ERPNext over to Meteor. If anyone is interested please reply.
Cheers,
Dave

2 Likes

Is your project open source?

have you ever developed a similar system in house?

The word of a business consultant: you will benefit a lot from it, probably you should do it, but it will be MUCH MUCH MUCH more complex than what you think. Think a budget of 50k-100k euros if you want to do it well.

Source: I help big companies develop such systems.

Pro Tip: Artificial intelligence is where the money is at, think about using AI to facilitate the work of people. This is always the biggest sales point.

1 Like

Nice, can we have a look?

Yes, it will be open source.
Cheers,
Dave

1 Like

Sure, I’ll be putting it up on an AWS instance shortly. I’ll post here when it’s up.
Cheers,
Dave

1 Like

Is it already on Github? I’d like to look on it and maybe join as contributor as I’m thinking on doing something similar.

2 Likes

Sure, I’ll send you a link shorty. I’m just bundling up my latest version
and putting up.
Dave