Galaxy Developer Edition pricing is just absurd!

If you don’t want to rely on a $13/month container and MDG support just build your own infrastructure. Problem solved.

2 Likes

That’s the most relevant question. If you have only one container does it’s replacement get started before it goes down? MDG controls the routing layer so they should be able to re-route the websocket connection to the new container, in which case I think the client just re-subscribes to all the publications without any visible reloading.

I can’t see why this should be a problem as long as the new container is available before the old one goes down.

1 Like

in which case I think the client just re-subscribes to all the publications without any visible reloading.

I believe a resubscription would cause visible reloading, at least in terms of the old subscription getting teared down (no data) and new one getting established (new data loading)

And that may be undesirable depending on the use case.

I don’t think that’s the case - the old data intentionally sticks around until the new subscription is ready.

1 Like

Hm, that’s an interesting surprize. I don’t know if it is a good or a bad one, though.

The underlying publication changing without the subcribing client noticing that change can be a good thing, but may also hurt if the new publication is actually a new version.

I don’t know, haven’t given this enough thought, but I think it deserves some exploration.

Yeah it’s the default that we thought made the most sense to avoid exactly the situation you’re talking about.

I don’t think this is possible because the client would reload in the case of new server code, right?

the client would reload in the case of new server code, right?

Even though there is no change to the client code?

can we pay with bitcoin or some crypto-currency here in nepal Credit card doesn’t support online payment gateway
:smirk::expressionless:

In that case your new publications must not have changed much since the old client code will work with them, so there is also no problem. If you want to talk most in depth we can start a new thread?

your new publications must not have changed much since the old client code will work with them

this is a huge understatement :smile:

But thank you for taking the time, a new thread is not necessary, I was just thinking of ways this could be exploited for the better or worse. Nice to know how it is designed to work.

can we pay with bitcoin or some crypto-currency

I would not actually trust my sensitive business data to an “enterprise” service who accepts bitcoins as payment form.

Paypal would be nice, though.

I’ve had credit cards and banks giving me headaches with online international payments. The banks are almost exclusively and deliberately unhelpful about explaining why they decline payment with their card, let alone mitigating issue. They also seem to have this rather random and chaotic blacklists…

yeah but the problem for us here will be i cannot purchase from credit card lol and it sucks …

What do you currently do for deployment then?

Does any of amazon, azure, digital ocean, modulus, heroku etc accept bitcoin?

there is one hosting provider that supports bitcoin.
http://bitcoinvpshosting.com/

Yes, that’s the thing. Bitcoin is not tracable to official businesses and therefore when used for hosting, it is often used for illegal purposes. Therefore, no enterprise cloud platform will accept bitcoin payments.

thanks… hmm I think i have to make contact with friends in US then

No problem. BTW I’m not an MDG employee, so take what I’ve told you with a grain of salt. They may always have other plans.

You can purchase Digital Ocean services with Bitcoin via BitHost

Namecheap accepts Bitcoin directly.

I’ve never used them but it looks like Cloudways provides hosting on DigitalOcean, AWS, Vultr, and GoogleCompute and they accept Bitcoin :slight_smile: http://www.cloudways.com/en/pricing.php

I don’t think it’s fair to throw around a blanket statement saying to never use a business that accepts Bitcoin, it’s gaining mass adoption at a fast rate right now, tons of online places started accepting it recently (Microsoft, Dell, Newegg, Overstock, TigerDirect, etc). As for “it is often used for illegal purposes”, that’s actually less than 1% of the Bitcoin daily trade volume. You know what currency facilitates the overwhelming majority of crime worldwide? USD. You don’t see ppl advising to not use businesses that accept USD just because some ppl abuse it.

I’m a big believer in BTC and have been involved with it since the early days, it pains me to see ppl say stuff like that :pensive:

1 Like

The statement was not against bitcoin, it was about the percentage of hosting services purchased by bitcoin and used for illegal purposes compared to those purchased by bitcoin for legal purposes.

Hosting is an especially sensitive market where the scale goes from the sense of security through legitimacy to sense of privacy through anonimity.

Considering business use cases, I’d indeed advise against bitcoin. For personal usecases though, I’m pro!