Galaxy Developer Edition pricing is just absurd!

yeah it is disappointing that at this point you have to go with middle man places like Cloudways instead of just purchasing directly from the providers. we’re getting close though! Coinbase recently announced their BTC backed Visa card https://blog.coinbase.com/2015/11/20/introducing-the-shift-card/ so technically anywhere that takes visa will accept your BTC, and now businesses that accept PayPal can add BTC as an option without any overhead or hassle on their part as well. I think we’ll see a lot more cards like that in 2016

1 Like

Don’t let that get you down. Many parrot anything they hear in main stream media without researching it for themselves. Critical thought is a dying art. I guess those who advise against Bitcoin for business are OK with unfair charge-back policies, unwarranted account freezes and/or exorbitant transaction fees?

Anyway…have you been enjoying the rally today? +8% :smile:

I keep https://bitcoinwisdom.com/ in an open tab all day every day at work on one of my monitors so I can keep an eye on it, today’s been pretty wild! I’ve been holding onto quite a few BTC since I picked them up at 180-220, if it hits the 500 mark again i’ll probably sell a few, then proceed to pick up more when it drops back down to 350 within a week like it always does haha

1 Like

So it is parroting when one disagrees with you, and the parrot must certainly have not done any research nor given any thought.

I’d certainly be willing to discuss this, perhaps on another thread so that we don’t pollute this one, learn from your experience and opinions to better shape mine and perhaps tip its scale towards yours should you be willing to let go of ad hominem comments.

1 Like

Galaxy is markedly cheaper than similar services on a comparable platform, e.g. Acquia for Drupal.

I was excited about Galaxy Developer Edition until I read about the possibility of downtime or restarting, which really should only happen for a free tier. Charging money for something that we are expected to accept will not work 100% (or 99.9%) of the time is, I agree, absurd.

I think I’ll try Bluemix instead.

it’s more like you paid $200,000 for the Ferrari, and then they tell you the $20,000 model has the same engine, the same acceleration and the same maintenance plan . . .

Hey Max, but Meteor said that these are “Spot Instances” on Amazon. I’m fairly familiar with AWS/EC2, a Spot Instance is definitely not the same thing as a regular or dedicated Instance. Everything about pricing on Meteor Galaxy sort of makes sense when you understand Amazon’s pricing.

For example, on AWS if you reserve an instance for a year up-front, you receive a generous discount; this is just like a Galaxy annual vs Galaxy month-to-month.

Spot Instances are intended to spawn from AMIs (Amazon’s term for a server image). The Meteor guys are probably doing some automated set of processes that launch an image setup for containers with copies of your app going into them. When a Spot Instance is ready to shutdown, MDG probably redirects the traffic from the Spot Instances to some other suitable instances; maybe even a dedicated one, but you will hit performance issues.

Instead production apps would have EC2 instances fine tuned for their use (you can literally do this at AWS, pick the kind of instance you want, fine tuned for specific needs, i.e. a server for data, computational, etc) The “Pro” edition most likely taps into these offerings at the higher end.

I’ve hosted clients from $50/month to $1000+/month directly on my own servers at a datacenter. There is absolutely a difference. The question is if the client has a need for a Ferrari, because if they don’t, they would most definitely be happier with $20k Accord, loaded with features and great gas milage. I reckon you’re in this latter category. I’d work that out with MDG, I’m sure they are reasonable.

I’d be more understanding of them not working out a rational solution for you, like refunding services not yet rendered. I don’t see a refund on services already received fair unless there was a problem with the actual service. I.e, if you got a Ferrari but didn’t use it, that’s on you; if you didn’t get a Ferrari at all, that’s on them. Again, without hard evidence it wouldn’t seem reasonable to assume that MDG is in the business of jerking people around like that.

AWS charges you or the Instance you request; you’re better off getting a smaller instances and swapping up as you need it. If you start with a LargeX12 instance to start with, you’ll be spending cash for something not needed. So if you got PRO, MDG has paid on your behalf for a higher end instance and had paid the staff to be there for your support.

Anyway, long story short–try to work it out with them on a human to human level and be reasonable. I’d be curious to hear your experience then.

1 Like

but the people behind Galaxy also wrote:

So the containers are smaller? I don’t know man, just talk to them about it!

Does anyone know what the Galaxy Developer edition pricing means? It says $0.035/GB/Hour, but is that GB of storage, or transfer?

That refers to application RAM.

Thanks sashko! Are there any disk size or bandwidth limits?

A bit surprised to know that in Nepal you can’t use Credit cards for online transactions :disappointed:

1 Like

yeah bitter truth… thinking of introducing crypto currency

Nothing to worry about :slight_smile: We had the same situation in Ukraine in 1999, I have asked our client from United Kingdom to register our first domain name at that time instead of paying us :slight_smile: Now we have 42 million people and 65 million credit cards :slight_smile:

But unlike me before 2K, in the 21st century you have access to hundreds of alternatives like Payoneer and other kinds of non-anonymous but ‘okay for respectable business’ cards.

@piyush Great :slight_smile: